05 June, 2007

Night of Nights

A companion piece to umlaut's Overlord...

On this night, 63 years ago, the 101st parachuted behind enemy lines in Normandy...the subsequent invasion is still the largest seaborne invasion in history.


My Great Aunty Nan taught me to dance in my parent's kitchen -- I learned all those great dances of the 30s and 40s. She'd always hum tunes by Benny Goodman and Glen Miller. So here's my ultimate WWII mix (in memory of Aunty Nan):

  • Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree - Glen Miller and his Orchestra
  • G.I. Jive - Johnny Mercer
  • And The Angels Sing - Benny Goodman and his Orchestra
  • It's Been A Long, Long Time - Harry James and his Orchestra featuring Kitty Kallen
  • Waitin' For The Train To Come In - Peggy Lee
  • Moonglow - Benny Goodman and his Orchestra
  • Swinging On A Star - Bing Crosby
  • Don't Get Around Much Anymore - Duke Ellington and his Orchestra
  • I Got A Gal in Kalamazoo - Glen Miller and his Orchestra
  • Sentimental Journey - Les Brown and his Orchestra featuring Doris Day
  • Till Then - The Mills Brothers
  • Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy - The Andrews Sisters
  • Rat Patrol - Naked Raygun
And while we're on the subject...my favorite WWII movies:
  • Saving Private Ryan
  • Force 10 from Navarone
  • A Bridge Too Far
  • The Great Escape
  • Victory
  • Casablanca
  • Bridge on the River Kwai
  • Schlinder's List
  • The English Patient
  • Life is Beautiful
  • 1941
  • Band of Brothers